Expenses you can claim back as an employee


If you drive on the road a lot for work then your employer can pay you a tax free mileage allowance.

The first 10,000 business miles in a tax year can be claimed at a rate of 45p per mile i.e. a total of £4,500 tax free.

If you exceed 10,000 miles then the rate drops to 25p per mile.

If your employer pays you a mileage rate that is less than HMRC’s allowance, then you can claim the difference on your Self Assessment tax return.

Working from home

If you work from home as part of your contract of employment or if you have in place a home working agreement then you can claim a home working allowance.

£4 per week can be claimed to cover the cost of household costs used for business purposes e.g. electricity, gas, energy, water and telephone bills.